I’ve really been feeling a lot more positive lately – an almost new found sense of confidence in myself has crept up on me over the last month, a feeling that I’m heading in the right direction and making younger me proud. I think this has just risen naturally out of enjoying the content I’m making a lot more and challenging myself to new ventures, no matter how small they might seem. I feel like the older I get, the less attention I give to silly things, and the more I start believing in who I am as a person. Starting a YouTube channel is also really helping me come out of my shell too – I have an exciting work trip planned next week, so I might even give my first ever vlog a try! Anyway, I digress, with all this new positivity at the forefront of my mind, I thought I’d summarise a few ways in which I’ve been trying to harness it. After all, the happier we are, the more energy we have to make those around us happy too…
“We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.”
1) Protect moments of joy – when you’re feeling happy, really try and allow yourself to be happy. Avoid things that you know might upset these moments like over analysing, or scrolling through social media, whatever it is that normally triggers a bad mood. It’s easier said than done but I’m really trying to enjoy life as it happens!
2) Don’t go on social media as soon as you wake up – someone told me recently that the first image you see when you wake up, sets the tone for the rest of the day. We all heavily rely on social media to wake us up these days, we scroll through Twitter and Instagram instead of sitting at the breakfast table and having conversation about the day ahead. This means we are often overwhelmed before it’s even 9am, we might even feel inadequate before we have even got dressed! This is something I’ve been trying to put into practice lately – instead of picking up my phone off the bedside table, I’ll try and finish a blog post or plan out my day, anything that’s productive…
3) Surround yourself with positive influences – everything you read, watch, or listen to will have an affect on the way you think in some way. Choose positive role models, listen to interesting podcasts, and pick up a book that you think might challenge you in some way. I’m the first to hold my hands up to loving a bit of trashy TV, but it’s important to make time for things that will benefit your growth and inspire you too.
4) Make your environment positive – whether it’s creating an inspiration wall in your office, or tackling that mountain of clothes that keeps falling out of your wardrobe. This always works wonders for me personally – a little clear out or organisation of the space around me helps shift things mentally.
5) Go at your own pace – this means taking breaks when you feel like you’re burning the candle at both ends too. Something which I’m trying to teach myself – learn when to switch off and when to give something your attention. Modern life seems to be getting faster all the time causing us to be overworked and overwhelmed at the best of times – remember to prioritise being healthy…
Photography by Adriana
Blouse – Vintage Levi | Jeans – Vintage Wrangler | Shoes – Mango | Bag – Staud Clothing | Sunglasses – Mango
SHOP THE LOOK
Perfect jeans and shirt <3
Love these tips! I’m definitely going to try not to go on social media first thing in the morning!
Oh yes, all of these are such a great points and I still have a lot to learn/ implement in my day-to-day life. I am so bad at immediately checking social media upon walking up and never going in my own pace but running short on every end, trying to meet everybody’s needs and all of the meetings, etc. before my own needs.
You are looking gorgeous as always! I’m loving your style!
Thanks for the kind words lovely! I’m definitely guilty of that too – need to learn to slow down xx
I’m in love with your style – it’s so chic but still seems to be effortless.
Thank you! xx
Such great points but ‘going at your own pace’ really stands out for me!
I’m totally burning the candle at both ends at the moment! xxx
Thanks Holly! You’re doing so well though and your content is a reflection of how hard you work xxx
I’m loving all your posts Alice – literally love everything you’re doing at the moment and this post is very life-affirming and lovely.
Thank you! You’re the sweetest xx
So agree with you, I love this post. Positivity is such an important thing and “normal” that sometime we can just forget about it and stop being really happy.
Recently, to help my happiness/positivity, I learn to not take people for granted, especially the one on my life every day. It makes a big difference and I even think I love them even more ahah!